Stuck in buttons on DW-5600E

Amontgomery

That is good to hear. I'm not planing on free diving with it or anything, but I do want it to be tough enough to handle my nasty line of work for many years.

On the subject of a second g-shock, I'm looking at the mudman line, any suggestions?

macspite

If you can live with a negative display which, for me, is hard to read unless at the correct angle then the G-9000-3V is my choice. Buttons are far stiffer to operate than a standard G though. Mine was off eBay, new for fifty quid delivered from Hong Kong. That was the first time I had tried buying a watch from overseas and the transaction was faultless and remarkably quick.

IMG_0103.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
That is good to hear. I'm not planing on free diving with it or anything, but I do want it to be tough enough to handle my nasty line of work for many years.

On the subject of a second g-shock, I'm looking at the mudman line, any suggestions?

Plenty of choice in the mudman range!

The outgoing G-Shock G-9000 mudman would be the obvious choice as macspite suggests.

Otherwise you might look at-

Original DW-8400 Mudman

17d1115287280-dw-8400-mudman-users-review-hung-lo-mud-01.jpg

Original GW-9000 atomic mudman

132727d1223355621-new-casio-g-shock-multi-band-atomic-solar-gw-9000-mudman-$70-gw9000a-1_xlarge.jpg

Slightly later GW-9010 atomic mudman 'rally timer'

gw9010.jpg

Or of course the all new G-Shock G-9300 Mudman

attachment.php

and the corresponding GW-9300 atomic mudman

attachment.php

SO a bit of choice then, this is without looking at colours, limited edition etc etc.

macspite

G-Shock soup anyone?

...heard boiling the entire watch can help soften the resin...

the story I heard was that the buttons are stiffer because of the construction though I fail to see that keeping out mud is any different to keeping out water. I am considering taking a spares/repair G-Shock and putting through a washing machine with a normal load of clothing to see what happens. Problem is that I love all my Gs even the battered old cheapies.

rutteger

Administrator
Soup, nice ;)

You'd think if a seal can keep out 20 atm of pressure it could also handle some mud! Guess the rationale for the mudman shrouded buttons maybe to keep mud from getting between button and bezel.

As for the washing machine I tried it. Had a DW-5300 with a knackered bezel and strap which smelt of cigarettes. Chucked the lot in. Module didn't fare too well, came out partially dead, unsure if seal wasn't 100% prior to washing or whether it had an unlucky blow getting spun at 1400rpm.

macspite

`Back when I were a nipper and the Archers on the Home Service has just trumped the opening night of an upstart broadcaster called ITV, Timex had an advert where a child strapped one of their watches around the hub of his bike wheel and pedalled around a motocross course. A forerunner of the Casio hockey puck ad.

My mate tried it with his birthday Timex.

His tears for his wrecked watch subsided when generous Timex sent him another with a stern warning never to try anything so stupid again.

seanobsdot

about the boiling

so this boiling the gshock thing ive heard of it and seen it but i dont trust it. can you actually soften up the band like that? just got a gw7900 and the band on it is kind of stiff compared to others i have. i dont really think i would boil any of my G's but has anone here actully done this? Results?

macspite

I think it is rather more of a gentle application of heat rather than a rolling boil. And it is probably a good idea to remove the resin parts to place in the water and leave the module and inner case on the side of the stove in the dry.

I have certainly heard of warming a new bezel before fitting it to make it easier to pull over the buttons but it is not something I have had to do on the one occasion I fitted a bezel to renovate an old watch.