Need new bezel for old watch

bimfi

This is my first time on this forum, so please forgive my ignorance. In 1983 or 84, my wife purchased a G-Shock watch for me, but because I don't like the feel of anything on my wrist, I hardly ever wore it. Now, 33 years later, I want to start wearing it again. Of course, the battery is dead, but when I went to do some minor repairs on it the bezel basically crumbled/fell apart. I looked on the back side of the watch and saw these writings: CASIO 901 DW-5600 JAPAN H ST.STEEL 200M WATER RESISTANT.
My Guess is that this is a DW-5600 watch. I don't know what the 901 means. I wanted to replace both the bezel and the battery, so I went to you tube for battery replacement. The one video showed how to change 5600 and 5000 batteries. What was confusing to me was the picture of the back of the 5600 did not look like my watch, but the back of the 5000 did.
My question is this; do they still make the bezel for this year model watch anymore, and where should I look to find one? I realize that these are pretty basic questions and probably easy to search for answers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have enclosed a pic of the back of the watch just for clarification.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• g shock pic.JPG
    g shock pic.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 237

cwardun

Casio no longer manufactures this bezel. You can find Brazilian made replacement bezels that are a close reproduction. That's a nice watch though. I recently purchased one just like it from another forum. The back probably didn't look like yours because the basic dw5600 is no longer a screwback case but rather a plate with 4 corner screws. Should be nearly the same once the metal back case has been removed though. Any competent jeweler should be able to replace the battery with a new cr2016 it a few mins.

bimfi

Thank you for your suggestion. I did contact them and they were very helpful. I took the watch to a jewelry shop to replace the battery because it is REALLY difficult to unscrew the back w/o the proper tool. They had a time opening it up (probably due to it's age). After it was opened, they could not unhinge the battery latch. They didn't want to damage the time piece, so I said to just bag it up and I will pay for the trouble and the battery, take it home and replace the battery myself. They didn't even charge me for opening it up nor for the battery either. I thought that was pretty cool.