What did happen with my watch?

enterix

Hi, everyone! I am having a problem with my g-shock (i am not really sure what model i have, but on the watch back it says "5240 GW-A1000"). Yesterday I returned back to US after the trip to my homeland in Europe. When I set the timezone to NYC, the watch started to show +8.5 hour shift from correct value, though when I press C button Greenwich time is correct. I wanted to initialize auto-calibration by pressing B button, but nothing happens. Also when I turn on temperature measuring mode second hand moved to position between 8 and 9, though it suppose to move to the +C or -C at the top.

Does somebody know what is wrong with the watch? A day ago it was working properly.

P. S. I am attaching a video with all the glitches shown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWXc30RitkA&t=6s

BACKBLAST72

Good Evening enterix,

It sounds like you have an Aviator G-Shock. So let me begin by congratulating you these are extremely awesome watches. I personally have three of them and two of the three are Atomic. More than likely what happen was the watch calibrated at night; meaning it received its atomic time calibration signal and adjusted the time to your current geographical location within europe. Atomic watches are design to do this on their own.

On your return to the United States the watch may have not recalibrated to your new geographical location being the Eastern seaboard. What I would recommend, leave your watch pointed westerly on a window over night and allow it to recalibrate itself. The atomic tower here in the United States is located at Fort Collins in Colorado, thus, this is why I am recommending for you to orient your watch in a westerly direction on your window. Please ensure there is no cellphone, computer, radio, or tv set near the window you are going to leave your watch. Because they could cause magnetic interference with the calibration signal of your watch.

This should take care of your issue. In the event that it does not, you will have to manually set the watch on calibration yourself. In regular time keeping mode press the button on the lower right section and wait until you here a beep and see the second hand move directly next to that button; when this occurs your watch is on manual calibration mode. Therefore, orient your watch on a westerly direction and allow it to calibrate. Give the watch a good twenty minutes and it should take care of the issue.

The other thing you could do is in regular timekeeping mode unlock the smart access crown and select the New York time zone, ensure to turn off the Day Light Saving Time mode if it is equipped on your watch and the watch will then change the time display to the correct reading. Then, at night allow the watch to go through the self-calibration mode and everything should be good to go.

Please let me know how it goes. However, this should reset and recalibrate your watch to your current timezone.