WRUW : 7th Nov -> 13th Nov

rutteger

Administrator
Always a decision what to start the new week with.

IMG_20111107_094329.jpg

Went with the DW-5300-G9V. Sadly needs a new keeper :(

macspite

There must be a large number of people with Casio watches with broken keepers. I know Casio's solution is to sell a new wristband complete which is fine for their profits and frustrating for the watch owner, even if a matching wristband is available.

I wonder if we have enough clout, as a forum dedicated to G-Shocks (with the occasional heretics sneaking in a Seiko or two), to pester Casio either in the UK or Japan to sell us a load of generic black keepers? If we could get a hundred for even a couple of quid each then the surplus could go on eBay for, say, £3.99 buy it now.

macspite

I had an hour's paperwork to do this morning before going over to the army barracks to fiddle around with a couple of my vehicles.It is now 14:15 and I have just finished sorting out the complications arising from the first couple of emails sent this morning :(

Ok, I will admit to sneaking a few minutes around midday to bid and win on anther G-Shock ...

So I have looked at the weather (grey), decided to stay home, taken off my trusty dirty work GW-500 and strapped on my G'Mix GM-100-1A.

The alarm is set for midnight and plays one of five tunes at random. since the clocks went back it has been sounding off at a more sensible 23:00. The idea being that if I hear the alarm I should stop whatever I am doing and go to bed. Now set to correct time again.

IMG_1703-1.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
Like that G-Mix model, especially since it's totally new to me :D Guess it's mid-late 90s vintage??

rutteger

Administrator
There must be a large number of people with Casio watches with broken keepers. I know Casio's solution is to sell a new wristband complete which is fine for their profits and frustrating for the watch owner, even if a matching wristband is available.

I wonder if we have enough clout, as a forum dedicated to G-Shocks (with the occasional heretics sneaking in a Seiko or two), to pester Casio either in the UK or Japan to sell us a load of generic black keepers? If we could get a hundred for even a couple of quid each then the surplus could go on eBay for, say, £3.99 buy it now.

Yes, nice idea. Seen some 'aftermarket' Casio straps appearing on ebay, wonder if these might be a better source for keepers.

macspite

Will check the after market straps but it seems a shame to buy a whole wristband just for the keeper.

Re the G-Mix - year setting runs forward to 2039 but the first year that can be set is 2000 which kind of dates it to that year. The tunes available are (Can't get no) Satisfaction, Smells like Teen Spirit, Heartbreak Hotel, New Year's Day and Walk this Way. All in glorious Casio tones - there are two little contact springs instead of one to provide the sound so I assume it is two notes at a time - melody and bass line.

It was ruinously expensive - 45 quid - and sold as a non-runner. Slightly complex battery replacement too as illustrated by the poor quality pictures taken at the time:

Back of watch showing Abu Dhabi airport shop sticker ( I think). Note the holes around the back of the watch - to let the sound out!

IMG_0730.jpg

The true case back is the flat, black metal disc that is a push fit into the case and is clamped down by the outer back, secured by the normal four screws

IMG_0736.jpg

Under the flat disc, now upside down and showing the silicone gasket is another disc, marked e40 and a rubber shock absorber. This is the first watch I have opened where the module wanted to come out with the rubber disc.

IMG_0741.jpg

Rubber shock absorber, module (2171) and old CR-2016

IMG_0749.jpg

Partly back together, awaiting e40 plate (sound plate or resonator?), black functional back and stainless decorative back. I assume the e40 plate is what makes it so loud, easy to hear the hour or alarm signal even with radio or TV playing. Note the two cil springs and the one tongue spring.

IMG_0750.jpg

Just realised that these photos show me "making the beast with two backs ..."

rutteger

Administrator
Will check the after market straps but it seems a shame to buy a whole wristband just for the keeper.

I didn't explain myself so well, more meant might be worth contacting these supplier to see if they could do a run of keepers seperately. Know people have spoken with Casio in the past with no luck.

Re the G-Mix - year setting runs forward to 2039 but the first year that can be set is 2000 which kind of dates it to that year. The tunes available are (Can't get no) Satisfaction, Smells like Teen Spirit, Heartbreak Hotel, New Year's Day and Walk this Way. All in glorious Casio tones - there are two little contact springs instead of one to provide the sound so I assume it is two notes at a time - melody and bass line.

It was ruinously expensive - 45 quid - and sold as a non-runner. Slightly complex battery replacement too as illustrated by the poor quality pictures taken at the time:

Back of watch showing Abu Dhabi airport shop sticker ( I think). Note the holes around the back of the watch - to let the sound out!

View attachment 923

The true case back is the flat, black metal disc that is a push fit into the case and is clamped down by the outer back, secured by the normal four screws

View attachment 924

Under the flat disc, now upside down and showing the silicone gasket is another disc, marked e40 and a rubber shock absorber. This is the first watch I have opened where the module wanted to come out with the rubber disc.

View attachment 925

Rubber shock absorber, module (2171) and old CR-2016

View attachment 926

Partly back together, awaiting e40 plate (sound plate or resonator?), black functional back and stainless decorative back. I assume the e40 plate is what makes it so loud, easy to hear the hour or alarm signal even with radio or TV playing. Note the two cil springs and the one tongue spring.

View attachment 927

Just realised that these photos show me "making the beast with two backs ..."

Cool tear down shots. Really think I've luckily missed something with that last comment.