Bug Spray

OTTDAVE

I bought a GW5000-1JF and headed off to the sun and sand. Not thinking at all, I sprayed bug repellent on my arms. Later I noticed a sparkle finish on my strap and bezel.
I've tried soap, silicone, and Armour All to no avail.
Anybody have any luck removing bug spray?

I was going to order a backup bezel and strap but now I may have to order two of each.

Sorry for no photo as my camera isn't good enough to provide a clear picture.

set2374

Many bug sprays have an oil base, so soap and water isn't the best way to clean them up. silicone and amour all (same thing), won't clean oil off either---just sort of move it around and make it worse. You might want to try some rubbing alcohol. Go light with the rubbing alcohol though on white straps---it has a tendency to yellow them if you use it too frequently. Otherwise, the oil and residue will come off on its own with ordinary washing and wear (it will just take a while).

OTTDAVE

Thanks for your reply. I did try the rubbing alcohol to no avail. I did some more research on another watch forum and found that basically, if you get bug spray (Deet) on resin or on the crystal there isn't anything that you can do except replace. My crystal looks fine but the Deet eats the resin.
Apparently there is a warning in the Casio manual.
Be forewarned.

set2374

Thanks for your reply. I did try the rubbing alcohol to no avail. I did some more research on another watch forum and found that basically, if you get bug spray (Deet) on resin or on the crystal there isn't anything that you can do except replace. My crystal looks fine but the Deet eats the resin.
Apparently there is a warning in the Casio manual.
Be forewarned.

Wow, never heard that before. I can understand the resin reacting to the deet, but I am not sure I understand why the crystal would have a reaction--since mineral crystal is essentially tempered glass. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll have to be careful using bug spray this summer. Or I can stick to wearing my GST-S110D-1A (all steel, with steel bracelet). The deet can trying taking a bite out of that. :)