G-Shock pedometers for running

aleksi

Hi,

I am new to G Shocks... I have been drawn to the brand due to some of the newer models containing a step counting function.

I am looking for experiences regarding using G Shocks (e.g., GBA-800) as a running watch.

I am a runner, but by no means a very serious one. I have previously used a running watch to track my running distance and speed, but waiting for the GPS signal and recharging the battery every few days is too much hassle. I would like to have a watch that I could just pick up, hit start, and go. I do not mind translating the step count to an estimate of running distance based on my stride length, and I also don't mind doing the math on how fast I'm running based on step count and elapsed time.

So basically, I would like a watch which would allow me to measure elapsed time during my run + number of steps taken during that same run. Technically this should be a piece of cake to implement in the G Shocks with the step counter.

However, looking at the product descriptions, it looks like the G Shocks that measure steps are not focused on specific workouts but rather the total daily activity (broken down by the hour). The manual says you can reset the step counter, but I don't know how convenient that is as a way to measure running steps/distance.

Any thoughts/experiences on this?

Thanks!

Deepsea_Dweller

Firstly welcome aboard @aleksi and enjoy our forum. Gotta admit I’m not familiar with a single-step counting G Shock. I heard some fellas are using step counting Casios so you might do some research on the internet as well. There’s a new Pro Trek PRT-B50 with Quad Sensor and Smartphone Link on the horizon! Pls check out the link below. Good luck and perhaps some other members will be chiming in. I’ll we be researching too. Have a great weekend.

https://www.g-central.com/pro-trek-prt-b50-with-quad-sensor-and-smartphone-link/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aleksi

Firstly welcome aboard @aleksi and enjoy our forum. Gotta admit I’m not familiar with a single-step counting G Shock. I heard some fellas are using step counting Casios so you might do some research on the internet as well. There’s a new Pro Trek PRT-B50 with Quad Sensor and Smartphone Link on the horizon! Pls check out the link below. Good luck and perhaps some other members will be chiming in. I’ll we be researching too. Have a great weekend.

https://www.g-central.com/pro-trek-prt-b50-with-quad-sensor-and-smartphone-link/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you @Deepsea_Dweller! The Pro Trek sounds like an interesting watch, although I will have to see if it performs the task I want it to. I will take a look at the Casios, too! Thanks a lot for the tip and for welcoming me!