DW-8200 modding

macspite

Really pleased, my bargain Frogman has arrived and I have already started to think about modding it. It was sold as wanting a battery:

G SHOCK FROGMAN TITAINIUM DW8200,THESE ARE VERY RARE,IT IS NOT WORKING,THINK IT NEEDS A BATTERY,BUT AM SELLING IT AS NON RUNNER,IT SAYS DO NOT OPEN BACK,ONLY AUTHORISED WATCH REPAIRER CAN PUT BATTERY IN,SO REMEMBER SOLD AS IS,NO RESERVE SEEN THESE AT £500.

I opened it and popped in a spare 398, for those of you who haven't seen inside a Frogman before here is a pic:

20120104_183354.jpg

As the seller says these are very rare, I'm used to undoing 4 little screws to get the back off a G-Shock but this was a little more difficult. It's the first Casio I have had to open with a knife. No instructions unfortunately and the Casio website seems screwed - gives me a pdf for a digital movement so if you recognise the module below could you help?

20120104_183441.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
Damn. My. Eyes. Pic one looked good, pic two less so. Suppose the bit about removing caseback with a knife should've been a give away. What are you modding plans?

macspite

Not sure yet. There is a genuine Frog on eBay at the moment missing a button, bezel and strap. Or I have a spare 1199 module that could do with a home. I can't believe anyone could be taken in by this, the finish is crude, back engraving is minimal, case is covered in nasty varnish. Nice light action on the buttons though, probably because there seem to be no seals around their stems.

Any (polite) suggestions as to what I can do with this will be gratefully received :cool:

rutteger

Administrator
comparative tough test? See how the faux DW-8250 stacks up against the tests pukka Gs can withstand?