WRUW : 16th Jan -> 22nd Jan

rutteger

Administrator
@Mister Tubbs - you need pics, I need shuteye, scran and to finish this report on the 19 stations I visited yesterday and today which needs to be illustrated by the 121 photos wot I took. Pics will be forthcoming in the next couple of days ... :D

Eating. Pah ;)

@rutteger - I have seen a LOT of fake Risemans, my RiS&Man is one of the better ones. I also have the earlier model which I think is far nicer to look at:

(This is one I took earlier)

There are a lot about but nothing like as there are BAPES. The DW-9100 looks cool though, need to pick up another one day. Still prefer the GW-9200 though ;)

rutteger

Administrator
Very normal today with the GW-M5600...

IMG_20120119_113354.jpg

macspite

I wore a fairly standard 6900 today as I had a meeting this afternoon regarding the new Kings Cross ticket hall. Spent the morning zipping round London sorting out the last few stations from the "East Angular" franchise. Pleasantly surprised at how good the connections were - lot quicker than using the car.

DW-6900H-4

20120119_105220-2.jpg

macspite

Not wearing as such but these watches were hinted at on this thread so I will continue here ...

Having recently bought a pair of Froggies I decided I liked titanium and I liked screwbacks. So I got these:

20120119_201801.jpg

Clear resin unfortunately yellowing. The strap is printed so not sure if there is anything that will bring the transparency back without damaging the graphics - if any one knows of a safe method of reducing the yellowing please let me know.

Love the engraving on the back:
20120119_202247.jpg

The printing that I do not want to damage - dates the watches quite well ...
20120119_202231.jpg

Two colourways:
20120119_201924.jpg

20120119_202220-1.jpg

20120119_202141.jpg

20120119_201848.jpg

Two watches in very nice condition from a friendly seller - thank you Gerry!

If you see a watch for sale on Watchuseek from "fonklover" then buy with confidence.

Oh, yes - I did say there were three watches in the box - two Gs and a Casio "oddity" - watch this space :D

rutteger

Administrator
Really nice macspite, this little haul deserves it's own thread :D

That caseback engraving is certainly a work of art, very nice. What are the two model numbers? And do the lower two pics show the same watch?

I've seen some of fonklover's stuff on WUS, he is a true Casio connoisseur!

Shame on the fading clear resin. I've no heard of anyway of reversing this, be interested to know if you have any luck.

Look forward to seeing the oddity ;)

macspite

I saw these via watchrecon, bought them while in Costa the other Saturday. Damn technology, damn smartphones. If we were still in the era of classified advertising in the backs of newspapers or in the Exchange and Mart nothing would happen at today's accelerated pace :(

(Bought a couple of cheap(ish) watches from sellers in the States this week and am anxiously waiting for some money to come in to top up the bank balance)

They are DW-9200K, in particular DW-9200K-9AT (yellow) and DW-9200K-2BT (blue) I believe. Realised I had put two pix of the same watch in the post so, rather than delete one added two pix of the other watch to compensate. Must have been editing the post when you saw the original with just the blue watch.

Trying with and without flash - don't like the harshness of on camera flash but unless I get my big Nikon based Kodak out and set up the studio flash it will remain as mobile phone pictures.

To properly set up an area for taking pictures of watches properly takes up a fair amount of space, you might as well write off the second bedroom if you intend using it as a studio.

There is some stuff called SeaGlow that has limited success in making the yellow less apparent but these may be a wee bit far gone for that. It may be possible to get new bezels and straps, will give Casio a ring.

rutteger

Administrator
I saw these via watchrecon, bought them while in Costa the other Saturday. Damn technology, damn smartphones. If we were still in the era of classified advertising in the backs of newspapers or in the Exchange and Mart nothing would happen at today's accelerated pace :(

(Bought a couple of cheap(ish) watches from sellers in the States this week and am anxiously waiting for some money to come in to top up the bank balance)

They are DW-9200K, in particular DW-9200K-9AT (yellow) and DW-9200K-2BT (blue) I believe. Realised I had put two pix of the same watch in the post so, rather than delete one added two pix of the other watch to compensate. Must have been editing the post when you saw the original with just the blue watch.

Trying with and without flash - don't like the harshness of on camera flash but unless I get my big Nikon based Kodak out and set up the studio flash it will remain as mobile phone pictures.

To properly set up an area for taking pictures of watches properly takes up a fair amount of space, you might as well write off the second bedroom if you intend using it as a studio.

There is some stuff called SeaGlow that has limited success in making the yellow less apparent but these may be a wee bit far gone for that. It may be possible to get new bezels and straps, will give Casio a ring.

Had forgotten about that watchrecon site, it's a good resource.

Agree with regards to the internet and smartphones changing the way things are done. The interweb is a real 'enabler' for collecters - without it a lot of people would collect things very differently...

Taking good snaps of watches is quite difficult in my experience. Normally just use the mobile to get a rough idea. Had some reasonable success using daylight and a tripod or a diffuser on the flash.

Hope you manage to restore the bezels at least a bit. Think the yellowing is an issue with the clear resin, seen even quite new GW-200 with yellowing band and bezels...

Today have gone with the GX-56 King.

IMG_20120120_103110.jpg

macspite

Smartphones - in my car I have a GPS/Satnav, PDA, calculator, camera, e-mail and internet access, eBook reader, FM radio, music player, video camera and tablet with handwriting and voice recognition all with a 5" screen. It's portable, slips in my pocket - and makes phone calls. So when I am away from home I still have full access to e-mail, eBay, watchrecon, watchuseek and g-shockzone as well as my bank balance and PayPal. As I am, to quote the old song "like a one-eyed cat peeping in a sea-food store" the temptation to browse and buy is just too great :(

Today I grabbed a DW-004, not sure of model as it doesn't feature in the watchshock.com archive. Not sure that the strap belongs to it and it is crying out for a NATO strap anyway though I would like to find a pre-owned strap in keeping with the wabi of the watch. The G-lide style strap may well become a test piece for whitening experiments ...

20120120_161648.jpg
No flash, mixed daylight and artificial - nice soft picture

20120120_161747.jpg
On camera flash, harsh shadows, sharp on detail

rutteger

Administrator
It can indeed sometimes feel like you're never off the grid, wish I could just switch the mobile / PC and leave it sometimes. But then I might miss something ;)

That DW-004 shows some good patina, eBay bargain per chance?

macspite

Now coming up to 2300, just finished report on Monday and Tuesday's activity, 2200 phone call re an install at Gatwick with a problem, emails re Kings Cross and Gatwick from 1900 this evening - I'm not the project manager, I am bloke wot wears orange hi-viz and drills holes in concrete!

I'm certainly not on the same pay scale as a project manager :(

Can't easily remember where the 004 came from but no doubt it was an eBay cheapie. Though I am trying to buy only decent kit this year I am sure a few more pre-loved and work-worn items will be acquired along the way. :D

Any luck with finding a DW-6900?

And well done on setting up the Wiki, will contribute when time allows!