WRUW : 23rd Jan -> 29th Jan

macspite

Thought I had better wear something conservative for the club meeting tonight so I decided to co-ordinate T-shirt and watch colours:

Great skies tonight, some wispy cloud but otherwise clear, pleased to say that the moon was behaving as the GL-X-5600 said it should. Even in my light-polluted street there was an excellent display of stars, must get the binoculars and a warm jacket out and have a proper look later.

20120127_000341.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
Damn, that is bright. Is the band and bezel crystal or jelly? Looks quality anyhow, best cover it if you're stargazing ;)

Mudman today. It's light here so can't check the moon, will look later :D

IMG_20120127_090106.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
The GW-6900 looks great, an understated classic.

Gone with something a little more bright, DW-6900CS-7

IMG_20120128_191115.jpg

macspite

Sorry not to continue the triple-eyed monster theme but today was time for one of my beaters.

20120128_163535.jpg
DW-003TB-7VT £4.17 including post (and paint flecks) from eBay

Spent the morning from 0600 doing my tax return then got stuck in helping a mate move a concrete sectional garage. Got captured at the end of the daylight to help get an old war horse (AEC Matador) turned timber truck into the vehicle compound:

20120128_161502.jpg

Then back home to put a battery in the watch that came in the post this morning. Didn't have a 2016 to hand so robbed one out of an old module that was hanging around waiting to be built into a project:

20120128_193629.jpg
CBX-1000 - poor quality due to low light from those bl**dy energy saving bulbs. Note washing up bowl with screwdriver and old battery - I do practice what I preach!

rutteger

Administrator
@macspite. Nice lorry, liking the cbx-1000 more though. What features does it have, original strap? Is this one from Austria?

@rcorreale - Great Frog, does the LCD have a blue tint to the display?

Gone for the old Gulfman today.

IMG_20120129_160316.jpg

rcorreale

View attachment 1691[/QUOTE]

Yes, blue tint on the display and the picture is an accurate representation of it (on my monitor at least).

I like the Gulfman, I have the newer model.

macspite

@macspite. Nice lorry, liking the cbx-1000 more though. What features does it have, original strap? Is this one from Austria?

CBX-1000 is first one of four from different vendors in the States. Straight to my door, no customs hassles this time. NATO strap rather than the original, not sure of full feature set as no manual for the 948 module on the Casio site. Split lap times, 1/1000 second timing, alarm and time found so far :)

Agree about rcorreale's Frog and noticed that there is one on WUS at a gradually reducing price as the seller can't move it - down to $365 shipped CONUS today, not sure if he will post outside of the US

Gulfman looks good, there was a later one on eBay but it went close to new price.

Today went to a militaria fair at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire to browse and to hand out leaflets about a certain show to be held down on the south coast from June 1st to 4th - have I mentioned it in here at all? :D

So it made sense to wear my Wehrmacht issue G-Shock - Nazi emblem removed to reduce the possibility of offence hence the blank area above the date panel. This is a very rare model, result of a collaboration between Japanese scientists and their German counterparts in late 1944, early 1945. They were issued to various members of Hitler's staff and high ranking military leaders, this particular one is believed to be the property of Martin Bormann (strangely for early G-Shocks this has no serial on the back plate though it may have been replaced in the past).

It came to me in a rather roundabout way, my great uncle had been in the merchant marine, for some years acting as the captain of a refrigerated ship bringing South American beef to Liverpool in the sixties. On his retirement he took his wife to live in Paraguay where he had made friends in the years plying between Britain and South America. He died in 1981, fortunately before the Falklands conflict, his widow - my great aunt - decided to return to the United Kingdom where she lived near her remaining family near Ormskirk. On her death the watch passed to her daughter (my aunt) in a large bundle of items, all the knick knacks collected over a lifetime. The watch lay neglected in a tea chest full of miscellaneous junk in the back of my aunt's large garage prior to her illness and move to a hospice. As one of the family helping to sort out my aunt's affairs I was shown the watch by my cousin who knew of my interest in such things - and here it is - somewhat tatty and scratched but a very rare watch nonetheless:

20120129_180436.jpg

Martin Bormann x G-Shock DW-003 - 100% genuine like all G-Shocks on eBay

rutteger

Administrator
@rcorreale - cheers! Which Gulfman do you have?

@macspite - lol, think your story in more plausible than many on popular auction sites. And the watch is at least pukka ;)