eBay GW-M5600 with failed battery?

Camel

So the GW-M 5600 is said to only need a battery replacement.
Do you guys have any experience with replacing battery in Tough Solars?
I am wondering if it only is the battery that fails as it should last about 10 years.

Worth bidding?

rutteger

Administrator
If the price is OK it might be worth a look. I've had to replace tough solar cells in a year old Riseman GW-9200, a two year old G-5500 and a couple of others. The cells are meant to last several years but don't always. The price of a new cell isn't cheap so bare that in mind when you bid.

Good luck!

Camel

Thanks! Very informative post :).
I've found rechargeable batteries on ebay, £5-6 with postage. Not sure if these are the right ones. If I get the watch, I will obviously check what battery is inside and buy the exact same one.

Oh man I just saw your signature. It's quite a collection, congrats! :)

rutteger

Administrator
Thanks! Very informative post :).
I've found rechargeable batteries on ebay, £5-6 with postage. Not sure if these are the right ones. If I get the watch, I will obviously check what battery is inside and buy the exact same one.

A CTL1616 is the cell you need > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CASIO-Rec...areParts_SM&hash=item35b88d1f73#ht_558wt_1396 . It'll be around GBP£10-12.

Oh man I just saw your signature. It's quite a collection, congrats! :)

Cheers :cool: I am just an amateur compared to many on the site though ;)

Camel

Ah, so it is more expensive then. Again - very informative, thanks :).
I will see how the bidding progresses!

macspite

I would suggest that you don't go wild on the biddi - it may well be the battery at fault and that obviously you need to factor in, plus the postage. It may be, with an unscrupulous seller, that they have already tried a battery replacement and it turns out to be a fault in the solar cells or the charging circuit. You can replace the rechargeable battery with an ordinary CR-1616 if that is the case.

Best scenario, which occasionally happens is that the watch has been away from a light source for far too long. Exposing it to very bright light for a few days should wake it up and charge it back up to normal.

OK, just logged into eBay and found that it is a watch that was on my list, just 20 minutes to go. I have been working tonight, what's your excuse for being up late? :D Postage is sensible, price is reasonable at the moment, let us know how you get on - I will stand back and keep out of the bidding, need to conserve cash for something important as yet to be paid for work leading up to Christmas :(

macspite

Well, it went for 30 quid including postage. Needs a battery so that's another tenner - there are some solar atomics available new for around 60 quid or keep watching eBay - there are always plenty of watches to choose from.

Smart decisions - ask here for advice ( ask three people and you will get at least three opinions ) and to pass on the watch, bit too much of a gamble which is why I left it alone at the end. I know how frustrating it can be though, to watch an item for a few days and then, for whatever reason, to abandon it at the last minute.

Is the GW-M5600 the model that you particularly want?

Camel

I passed on it. If I was collecting watches, I would have gone for it. But for now, I only want one. I have already had GW-M5600 (stolen).

So I'm going to give another one a chance - this bad boy I like the most of all g-shocks I've seen. There is still small hesitance between this one and G7800.

I'll try to bid on the DW-5600MS. If the price doesn't go crazy high, I will get my hands on it :).

PS. It is so nice to discover places like this forum. I did not know how many G-Shocks there were and how crazy you can get over them. But now I totally understand it and I am actually starting to think about buying more and more g-shocks in the future. They are great watches!!!

PS2. Oh shoot, you're right - it does get pretty late :D

macspite

The "bad boy" looks to be a bit of alright :) Lettering needs to be redone, easy job and there is a guide to doing that on the wiki. But the 7800 looks good too.

Decisions, decisions <sigh>

Both would be a good idea :devilish: