Have you ever broken a G-Shock??

rutteger

Administrator
I mean properly smashed one and / or made it useless? I've busted a fair few watches, cheaper Casios and Swatches to name a few but other than the odd keeper and module (thanks to my DIY effort ;) ) I've not done more than scratch the glass a little.

disavowed

No - couldn't do that to something I dig...

But I must say - after joining here a few weeks ago and digesting a lot of the great info here - I was saddened to read that there are Vintage G-SHOCKS with bezels that fall apart over time (as with the DW-5300 - which by the way has never happened to any that I have owned...)

Didn't think a G-SHOCK would/could be so G-FRAGILE...

rutteger

Administrator
No - couldn't do that to something I dig...

But I must say - after joining here a few weeks ago and digesting a lot of the great info here - I was saddened to read that there are Vintage G-SHOCKS with bezels that fall apart over time (as with the DW-5300 - which by the way has never happened to any that I have owned...)

Didn't think a G-SHOCK would/could be so G-FRAGILE...

I meant accidental breakage rather than on purpose :eek: Of course be interested to know if someone has taken a hammer to one :D

Some of the resin does rot on the older Gs indeed. Think it's a specific batch of resin, lots of the DW-5300 and DW-5500 have had resin rot issues where as many earlier watches (such as the DW-5200) have no resin rot problems. Suppose the resin is meant to be easily replaceable anyhow.

disavowed

Ah... my bad.

And glad to read the resin isues are limited to basically 2 models...

Like I said - your forum is a great place to get info and answers - thanks!

macspite

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have had resin rot on a DW-6600 (which I used as a dive watch, whether sea water has an effect I have no idea) and a DW-003, provenance unknown.

One of the theories is that exposure to UV accelerates the ageing process - not good news for tough solar

Olivier

If this guy try to test any other watches, results should be worst!!
Some stress tests are impressive but this one shown on this video stupid.

rutteger

Administrator
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I have had resin rot on a DW-6600 (which I used as a dive watch, whether sea water has an effect I have no idea) and a DW-003, provenance unknown.

One of the theories is that exposure to UV accelerates the ageing process - not good news for tough solar

Certainly more than the two models mentioned of course. These models (and others of a similar vintage) do seem more effected than others though. Be interested to know if there is any difference is resin formulation over the year...

rutteger

Administrator
me i have never broken one but this guy did haha...............i cant help but laugh everytime i see this video....feel bad for the watch though

My word. I did expect to see similar on youtube but that is classic.

If this guy try to test any other watches, results should be worst!!
Some stress tests are impressive but this one shown on this video stupid.

Have to agree it's perhaps not representative. If your watch is experiencing that sort of stress then I suspect you should worry more about your arm / wrist being broken!

disavowed

Look at it this way - it took cinder blocks and a baseball bat behind a grown man's swing to damage the crystal and module.

Worthy of the name G-SHOCK to me...