THE REAL 'Mission Impossible' CASIO...

disavowed

Last week I posted pics of a recent purchase of the DW-5300 G-SHOCK, thinking over the past 15 years that it was the actual model worn by Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt in the 1996 MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE Film. http://www.g-shockzone.com/showthread.php?761-Back-in-Black

When searching for screen caps to insert into the thread along with the watch pic, I discovered that someone determined within the last couple of years (with the help of HD/BluRay DVD's) that the watch was actually the DW-290-1V... (I applaud his discovery!)

missionimpossiblehd.jpg

MI-1-vlcsnap-2011-05-15-15h48m39s74.jpg

I was then further astonished that this (pre?) DW-5300-era CASIO is still in production!!! The earlier ones appear to have been produced in Japan, with module 1219...

CA4.jpg

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/classic/DW290-1V/

There are also many posts on the web that indicate it's a favorite for many Casio watch fans...

So I immediately bought a new one from eBay (prices range for new 290's from approximately $25 - $75, with the $49.99 price on Casio's website...)

Here are my unboxing pics, including a couple of comparison pics with the DW-5300...

1-290-1.jpg

2-290-1.jpg

3-290-1.jpg

4-290-1.jpg

IMG_0254-1.jpg

5-290-1.jpg

7-290-1.jpg

8-290-1.jpg

9-290-1.jpg

10-290-1.jpg

11-290-1.jpg

12-290-1.jpg

13-290-1.jpg

After additional web research, I was further impressed by the all of the recent, very positive reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW290-1V-Classic-Chronograph-Resistant/product-reviews/B000GB1R8M/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I also read in various forum posts that the DW-290 model was the actual 'daily driver' for a Director of the FBI (not sure if it's the current Director or the previous)...

After all I've read, the fact that it was the model in one of my favorite all-time movies, and after seeing it in person and feeling the comfort level it provides - I must buy an early production 290 model to compare the obvious changes to the model over time. In hand, or rather on-wrist... the strap is much softer/more pliable than that of the DW-5300's I've owned with original straps (this new 290 watch and strap can lay flat - unlike my early G-SHOCKS. I suspect it's a silicone-based strap, but the bezel is a softer resin as well. Also has a very matte black finish - appearing exactly as it did in the screen cap above when worn by Cruise. WAY-more comfortable than my DW-5300 G-SHOCK. And I love the redline about the display...

Couldn't really track down the original production year, other than quotes by some stating the mid-90's - but I suspect they're correct as I would expect Paramount to outfit Cruise with the 'latest' cool watch available, as the movie was filmed in '95 and released in '96 - I'd guess it was available no earlier than '94 - like the DW-5300. Then again, I've also read it's a 'Pre-G' (after all, it has a 3-digit DW number) - so I'm just not sure.

Also, the Casio link above indicates the modules used are the 1189 and 3231.

Here are more specs...

Countdown Timer, Measuring unit: 1 second, Countdown range: 1 minute to 24 hours. Auto-repeat Function. 1/100 second digital stopwatch. Measuring capacity: 23:5959.99", Measuring modes: Elapsed time, Split time, 1st-2nd place times Hourly Time Signal. Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2029). 12/24 Hour Formats,Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month Battery CR2016,Approx. battery life: 2 years Black Band. The electro-luminescence also flashes at the end of the countdown timer...

Hope I haven't belabored this thread, but since the DW-290 is the REAL M:I watch - not the DW-5300, I felt it deserves extra attention. It certainly has garnered mine - plan on wearing it ALOT.

Please feel free to add or correct anything I posted... Thanks.

THREAD FOOTNOTE -

I'm adding pics of a vintage, Japanese DW-290 - undoubtedly the production origin of the movie M:I version, not the current Chinese model...

What's interesting is - in the 2-to-3 weeks since discovering the actual movie watch identity and daily eBay searches - this is the only Japanese one I've seen on eBay...

Here she is - replete with authentic Casio replacement band - and the only (visible/known) differences from her Chinese descendant being the engine-modules, the worn-off green ILLUMINATOR lettering, and the caseback inscription...

Otherwise - she's identical and even still 'illunimates'!
:encouragement:

IMG_0341-1.jpg

IMG_0342-1.jpg

IMG_0355-1.jpg

IMG_0353-1.jpg

IMG_0357-1.jpg

rutteger

Administrator
Brilliant thread, thanks for sharing :D Great pics and review. The DW-290 looks good, on the back of this pretty tempted to pick one up, especially given the great value. Am going to feature this on the front page :encouragement:

macspite

Great pictures of a nice watch. As I have just missed out on a Terje Haakonsen Riseman on eBay I might have to get one of these.
Thanks for the heads up :encouragement:

macspite

Problem for those of us in the UK is the price of shipping from the States. Then the customs take an interest and charge VAT - on the watch and the shipping cost. I haven't done an exhaustive search but the best price I found on eBay UK was £22.60 shipped free from Hong Kong

And having done all that research on your behalf dear reader(s) I went the extra mile and ordered one :D

I haven't used this Hong Kong seller before so will let you know of any problems when it arrives, expected mid February.

Now have five watches in the post

disavowed

Please see my original post above for addition of my Japanese DW-290 comparison pics and thread footnote (in RED)...

Thanks.

rutteger

Administrator
Cool, thanks for the update with the Japan made DW-290. Did you source it in the US or abroad? Either way the Japan made Casios always seem more desirable.

disavowed

Thanks...

US via eBay - $10.50. But since I've still not seen another Japanese after 3 weeks, with all those Chinese ones - I'm glad I went to the trouble to snag it for lunch money...