Desert Island Watches

macspite

Judging by the poll there are quite a few owners of multiple G-Shocks

In the spirit of BBC Radio 4's "Desert Island Discs" (now celebrating its 70th anniversary) if you had to save just one of your collection which would it be and why?

(Assume a plentiful supply of batteries and the tools to change them)

For me it would be my Stargate:

IMG_2413.jpg

Big, feels good on the wrist, easy to read face and, to me, it looks chunky tough and the embodiment of G-Shock principles

rutteger

Administrator
Nice idea for a thread. DW-8300 Stargate is a classic choice, some good reasoning there too.

Always tough to pic one from your collection. Giving it a little thought I'm of course tempted by the GW-9300 Mudman which is the current belle du jour. The GW-200Z Frog also has a lot to say for itself along with all the Masters in the draw. But if I had to chose just one (as if you could!) it's have to be my old DW-5200C

attachment.php

It's a bona-fide classic (imho of course), the original G-Shock design. Steel case and screwback, very close to the original DW-5000 in every respect. Retro cool yet still able to cut it nearly 30 years on and of course in perfect order. Also put a lot of time into getting it back into good shape, see here.

macspite

You and I both have far newer, more complex and more expensive watches in our collections - funny how it comes down to a "classic" as the one watch we would choose. Is there a current Casio classic in the making?

rutteger

Administrator
You and I both have far newer, more complex and more expensive watches in our collections - funny how it comes down to a "classic" as the one watch we would choose. Is there a current Casio classic in the making?

Indeed, interesting to know which others would save. Assume any of the current Masters will in future become classics as their ancestors have before them. The other which really sticks out is the GW-5000, bit of a one for the G afficianado.