Installing the G-Shock Japan app on your android phone

rutteger

Administrator
Casio / G-Shock Japan have released official apps for both the iphone and android. Have read elsewhere about people being able to install a G-shock iphone app - not sure if it's the Japanese one. Anyhow given I only have an android phone (if someone wants to send an iphone 4s for, er, testing that's cool ;)) I decided to install the G-Shock Japan app. Took a little thought so here is a guide, hope some find it useful :D When you get it installed you get a cool DW-5600 Firefox clock widget, G-Shock launcher, G-shock wallpaper, G-shock live wallpaper and twitter(!) client.

1. The official page for the app is here > http://g-shock.jp/app/ and here > https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.co.casio.gshock . You cannot install this app in the UK or US. I'd think this also holds true for everywhere expect Japan - believe it to be Japan only.

2. Do not install this app > https://market.android.com/details?id=ncmcs.jp.android.app.campaign.mediast . Think this is the app for the GB-6900. It should install anywhere but did nothing for me at least.

3. In order to install a Japanese app you'll need to have your phone rooted **WARNING - Do not proceed unless you know what you are doing or don't care what happens to your phone **. This is dealt with elsewhere in great depth.

3. Install the app 'Market Enabler' > https://market.android.com/details?id=ch.racic.android.marketenabler

4. Once installed open 'Market Enabler', make a note of your current market ID, go to 'set custom' and enter 44004 into the box. Click 'Set to this values'. This sets your phone up so Market thinks your phone is on softcom Japan. Probably any Japanese operator would work.

screenshot-1328200597252.jpg

5. Open Market - everything should be in Japanese.

6. Search for the app. It didn't show for me when searching for G-Shock for some reason. Rather I searched for Casio, opened the protrek app and the G-Shock app was listed as an alternative. Anyhow when you find it you should see this. Click install.

screenshot-1328200686905.jpg

7. This is what you should see. The newly installed G-Shock app, in English too! Don't forget to return your phone to the correct market using 'Market Enabler'.

screenshot-1328200699856.jpg

8. You get the following wallpapers, two normal and one live which reads the sensors (and makes the phone slow and eats battery - but it looks cool). You can also see the custom G-shock launcher.

screenshot-1328200725325.jpgscreenshot-1328200711715.jpgscreenshot-1328200748907.jpg

9. Clock widget, probably my fave bit of the app and the only thing I'll actually use. Stopwatch, alarm and timer included.
screenshot-1328200757817.jpgscreenshot-1328200764318.jpg

10. Finally the twitter client. Hmm.
screenshot-1328200960414.jpg

Anyhow, hope you find this little guide useful :cool:

Tsip85

Nice. May have to give this a try. Any other options besides the 5600 for the widget or wallpaper?

rutteger

Administrator
Nice. May have to give this a try. Any other options besides the 5600 for the widget or wallpaper?

Sadly not, all I could find was the one regular DW-5600 wallpaper, one live DW-5600 wallpaper and one regular G-Shock wallpaper. And of course the DW-5600 widget. Widget is the only thing I've kept, it's pretty cool actually.

If you install the PRW-5100 app > https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.protrek.prw5100 which is available worldwide (well, UK at least so I'd assume everywhere) you can get a PRW-5100 demo up.

screenshot-1328213241774.jpgscreenshot-1328213322147.jpg

Sadly no widget. Or wallpaper. But you can look at it I suppose. There are also a couple of Casio Oceanus apps which look similar to the PRW-5100 app, look to be Japan only so haven't installed these.

disavowed

DL'ed the (domestic) app for my iPhone4S...

Pretty cool - G-SHOCK ATTACK, G-SHOCK DIVE, & G-SHOCK HEAT games...

You get more options for which model G serves as your wallpaper (default is a time-keeping DW-5600) after you exceed your previous game's high score.

You can upload results to your Twitter/FB accounts, etc - as mentioned...

rutteger

Administrator
Is the domestic iphone app the same as the one offered on the G-Shock Japan site? iphone app sounds cool and a step up from the Android app.

Also with your iphone4s you should be able to use the upcoming Bluetooth GB-6900 :D

disavowed

Is the domestic iphone app the same as the one offered on the G-Shock Japan site? iphone app sounds cool and a step up from the Android app.

Also with your iphone4s you should be able to use the upcoming Bluetooth GB-6900 :D

Similar functions/features - but presentations are a bit different.

Free app - so if you're a G Fan w/ an iPhone you can't lose...

And yes - I've already decided to pull the trigger on the Bluetooth 6900!!!

Footnote - after further comparisons to your captures - not as detailed/interactive as the Japanese app...