Battery for the classic DW-6600?

gshockfreak9999

Yesterday I traded in my GD100-1B because of the dark display for the DW-6600 watch.
Just couldnt handle the dark display, just could not. Period.

But, my question is, can I still replace the battery for the DW-6600?
These take the CR2016 batteries.
See here for more details.
http://mygshock.com/wiki/DW-6600

I LOVE this watch!!!!!

Just wish to know if I can still replace the battery on this watch since its probably no longer in production?

Thanks.

rutteger

Administrator
No problemo replacing the batteries in these. The CR2016 are readily available from eBay and pretty much anywhere.

macspite

I can probably post a battery changing sequence on here if anyone would like to see how easy it is. Or you can google g-shock battery change and see various peoples' take on it.

The main thing is to have a good quality screwdriver that fits the screws - #PH000 - and a large container in which to work to stop those screws making a break for freedom.

gshockfreak9999

@macspite - sure why not. Please do.

Are you sure that the battery (CR2016) for the DW-6600 are still available to get anywhere?

In the meantime, I went to youtube and seen the videos for replacing the batteries on G-shocks. I have to admit here, that It is VERY VERY hard....
So I think its best to have a watch service shop to do it instead since they should have the right needed tools to do so.

Thanks

macspite

CR2016s are part of the CR20xx family 20mm diameter and 1.6mm thick. Battery replacement is simple, got a cheapie in the post yesterday with a dead battery, put a new one in while I boiled a kettle for a mug of tea.

Batteries are $4 for a single branded battery from a hardware store to $0.40 for batteries bought in bulk from a watch accessory supplier.

Minimum tools you will need are screwdriver, needle nosed tweezers and a tube of silicon grease if you want to ensure the waterproofing (available from auto and electical/electronics stores) Probably another $15 max.

What will a watch store charge to change a battery?

gshockfreak9999

I would rather have a watch service shop do it. First of all I dont have the tools.

No wonder its hard to replace the battery because these watches are built for toughness and to resist water.

macspite

Ok, but be careful in your choice of shop. There are plenty of documented cases of batteries being changed by "professionals" who lose the alarm spring or, worse, don't ensure the sealing O ring is properly in its groove. The first you know of that problem is when your watch floods.

Where do you get the information that it is hard to change a battery?

gshockfreak9999

From this YouTube video here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogCz2vjUKVg

I always take off my watch whenever I go swimming or taking a shower anyways.

Maybe I can practice this using my old GD100-1B watch :friendly_wink: But I dont have the tools though....

Also, here are great instructions here in which I then saved and converted to a PDF document.
Maybe if I can print it, I will take it to a local service shop and have them look at it.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-change-battery-g-shock-19704.html

gshockfreak9999

I should of ask the sales dealer if the batteries on this new watch are fresh or old.
And speaking of this, do most watch dealers or shops sell watches with fresh batteries inside the watch already?

I was now wondering about this.

Even though if they had said YES it is fresh....Then that would leave me wondering if thats true or not....

Thanks.

macspite

Batteries on a new watch have been fitted at the factory. So it depends on how long the watch has spent travelling to the dealer and how long it has been on the shelf.

Maybe a solar or solar/atomic would suit you better

Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...