Watch buying advice for a confused newbie

drpbier

Hi all

I'd like to buy a radio controlled, solar powered G Shock. The thing is, I want something as smart, slim and premium as possible for an office environment.

I see there's a new Aviator Premium 4000D, and have seen the MTG-1500B model too. I'm getting a bit drowned in all the model ranges and codes, so can anyone recommend either of these or anything else to fit my specifications?

Thanks,
David

rutteger

Administrator
Welcome to the site :)

There are indeed a lot of options and it can be tricky to wade through it all at the start. Perhaps easier to advise if you can give an idea on budget and whether you want analog , ani / digi or digital and whtehr you favour a metal or resin bracelet.

Of the two you list the GW-4000 Aviator would probably be my choice. It's pretty new and certainly looks smart imho > http://www.casioonline.co.uk/Watches/G-Shock/Aviator/GW-4000-1AER/ . THE MTG-1500 is also a very strong model. TBH you'll not go wrong with either.

Others you might consider are

GW-5000. This is a premium screwback G modelled on the classic DW-5600 line. Main issue with this is it looks like a £50 GW-M5600 and you'll have to import it.

GW-5000-1JF.jpg

GW-A1000. Coming soon (ish). New top of the range aviator > http://www.g-shockzone.com/content.php?342-Royal-Air-Force-G-Shock-GW-A1000-at-Baselworld-2012

attachment.php

You could also look at things like the GWF-1000 Frogman and GW-9300 Mudman. Both are very much premium items from Casio's Master of G range but are perhaps a little rugged looking for the office.

As a slight curve ball you could also look at the Edifice range > http://www.casioonline.co.uk/Watches/Edifice/EQW-A1000RB-1AER/ . Not as tough as G-Shocks but perhaps more 'smart'.

daveathall

You could also check out the Protrek range, these are quite slim so would fit under a cuff, also slightly understated with clean lines.

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

drpbier

Welcome to the site :)

Perhaps easier to advise if you can give an idea on budget and whether you want analog , ani / digi or digital and whtehr you favour a metal or resin bracelet.

OK, ideally I'd like analogue or ana/digi, metal case and bracelet (with deploying clasp), in one of those scratch resistant black coatings rather than stainless steel, and will go to £500. I guess that narrows things?

Stu65

Sounds as if a GW-2000 would be ideal for you if you could find one and well within your budget.
Here's mine.
SDC10539.jpg

Stu.

rutteger

Administrator
OK, ideally I'd like analogue or ana/digi, metal case and bracelet (with deploying clasp), in one of those scratch resistant black coatings rather than stainless steel, and will go to £500. I guess that narrows things?

Yeah, that narrows the field somewhat. Think you got most of the obvious choices straight off, esp assuming you're in the UK.
*GW-4000D
*MTG-1500B (either colour)
*MTG-1200B
*GW-A1000D

All are great watches. The GW-A1000D isn't out yet plus I'm unclear if it'll be under £500. Here's a pic anyhow, The GW-A1000D is on the right...

651915d1331731784-casio-baselworld-011l.jpg

Olivier

You could also check here for this MTG-1500B :
MTG-1500B-1A1JFs.jpg
All your requirements should be satisfied. (colour, metal, for office, price less than £500, solar powered, radio-controlled..)