Hello and Some Cleaning Advice Please?

TomBoyNI

Hello there, n00b here, but having had a quick look around and seeing some of the restoration work that has been done, I'm pretty sure one of you guys will be able to help me get this watch back to yellow, and my white one back to white, lol!

I have tried a sponge, soap, washing up liquid, shower gel, tooth brush, and the course thing on a dish sponge, and even bought a magic sponge, to no avail.

Here's a few pics and any advice is very welcome.

Cheers!

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

seanobsdot

i personally wash the watch almost everytime i wear them, especially, if its white(matte finish picks up the dirt a lot faster), make sure your hands are clean b4 taking the watch off, use gentle hand soap, another trick i use is clean and clear oil absorbing sheets!!!! sounds funny but they work good. but your best bet would probably be to just buy new bands you want to dye them. maybe someone else will have some amazing cleaning tips for you. sounds like you have tried mostly everything but in the future
1. wash hands b4 taking watch off
2. use gentle hand soap to clean your watch
3. dry the watch ( i use keyboard cleaner to get the really hard to get places
4. admire how clean your watch is:cheerful:

TomBoyNI

i personally wash the watch almost everytime i wear them, especially, if its white(matte finish picks up the dirt a lot faster), make sure your hands are clean b4 taking the watch off, use gentle hand soap, another trick i use is clean and clear oil absorbing sheets!!!! sounds funny but they work good. but your best bet would probably be to just buy new bands you want to dye them. maybe someone else will have some amazing cleaning tips for you. sounds like you have tried mostly everything but in the future
1. wash hands b4 taking watch off
2. use gentle hand soap to clean your watch
3. dry the watch ( i use keyboard cleaner to get the really hard to get places
4. admire how clean your watch is:cheerful:

Good advice there, but the thing is I wear the watch, all my watches in the shower, and wash them separately in the shower too. I think rather than dirt the markings is actually dye or something from clothing. But I can't shift it at all! :mad:

seanobsdot

yea the yellow gw7900 looks like the paint from the band keeper is coming off but in the future try not to use anyhting to harsh on the watch bands glossy or matte that magic eraser thing has a lot of chemicals that probably dont go good with resin watch bands good luck though hope it all works out if you know how try dyeing the yellow one the white you cant (idontthink_) but i can be wrong.......

rutteger

Administrator
Good advice there, but the thing is I wear the watch, all my watches in the shower, and wash them separately in the shower too. I think rather than dirt the markings is actually dye or something from clothing. But I can't shift it at all! :mad:

Bad news on the yellow and white band and bezel. I've heard of clothing dye staining resin in the past, guess this may well be the issue here. Most of Casio's resin bands and bezels (the non-glossy ones at least) are porous and can be dyed, it's quite a common mod to use something like RIT (in the US) or Dylon (UK) to change the colour of a band and bezel. Unfortunately the flip is sometimes the bands and bezels can 'absorb' dye when it's not wanted :mad: Once purchased a yellow DW-004 with a stained band and bezel - had intended to dye it anyhow but tried to remove the stains without luck.

Anyhow enough chat, this is what I'd suggest

*Clean with soap and a toothbrush - see if you can scrub it clean

Anything more than this and you risk damaging (a slight risk but worth mentioning) the resin, please do so at your own risk. I'd suggest once you get to this stage it might be worth removing the band and bezel from the case.

*Clean with a magic eraser
*Clean with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush
*Clean with acetone and a toothbrush

I'm unsure if your white G has a matte or glossy band and bezel. If glossy hopefully one of the techniques above will work. If not you might try using a little bleach, I've heard this working. Of course be very very careful with yourself and watch!

Worst comes to the worst you could dye the whole lot another colour or pick up another band and bezel.

Interesting to know how you go, let us know. Good luck!

TomBoyNI

LOL just took the easy way out as it looks like nothing bar new paint will take the stain out, so new parts ordered for both the white and yellow, hopefully they will remain the appropriate colours for longer.

Thanks for the advice though!

rutteger

Administrator
LOL just took the easy way out as it looks like nothing bar new paint will take the stain out, so new parts ordered for both the white and yellow, hopefully they will remain the appropriate colours for longer.

Thanks for the advice though!

Yeah, to be honest don't blame you - not convinced you'd remove the stain either.

BoroGTI

they arent stains, its just the colour comin off as it rubs on sleeves and such, all mine have done it, especially white ones