Help needed ,Heart Breaking Condition wademan... & others

chrisek

Very cool collection! I love the 81XX's and I can tell you they are known for resin rot as I'm all too familiar. Down to my last one I can wear :(

I wish you luck on the spares, I really like a lot of your watches and hope you can enjoy them :beer:

sent with aloha

Gary7

That's the trouble with models like that... the resin is very rare to find as spare parts and if you buy a used one, there's no telling until it's in your hands how resilient the resin actually is. I bought a DW-5700 that had the resin intact. It looked a little worn, but it wasn't bad. After a battery change, I noticed a slight hairline crack in the bezel. The pressure I'd exerted on the resin to get the back off must have caused it. And then when I washed the watch, that was all it took--the crack grew and the bezel fell apart.

Casio_DW5700ML_rot.jpg

Nothing you can do. No treatment to the resin can reverse the rot, unless there's some secret method that hasn't been leaked to the general public. The only thing you CAN do is to protect existing resin to help delay the onset of rot. I can appreciate the frustration you must feel for those watches... and the 5700 is not much different, because CASIO in its strange inclinations made subtle changes to the 5700, resulting in 3 different bezel designs. Two of them are physically different and the third has different function label positions. So, despite having secured a vintage 5700 bezel, it doesn't work on mine! I had to put a 5600 bezel on it... which works, but significantly alters the look of the 5700 design.

johnwong

Hey guys , after I buy two 2nd wademan.. I mix n match with mine to save as many as possible... The following is what I get.... I am a happy man again!!

null_zps8d01925f.jpg

null_zps3d785d5d.jpg

null_zps80b3f77a.jpg

cedric

Can't give much advise but if you managed to fixed it up with the parts, please wear them, to enjoy them, instead of storing them up again.

LUW

John, they look VERY good now, congrats!
Interesting to see that some models are so easily prey to resin rot, while others withstand it much better.

Gary7

Yes indeed, congratulations on your restoration efforts John! Looks like your Wademan is back and ready for service. In the future, try to keep your stored watches in a cool dry place. Very warm and humid conditions can cause some resin to rot rather quickly.

LUW

And don't forget light; UV radiation is the prime factor in deterioration of plastics and resin, so make that a cool, dry and dark place.