Let's talk squares!

Sengyoku

Like Luciano mentioned earlier, I'm one of those people who developed a later fascination with squares... I didn't used to pay that much attention to squares at all!

Ironically, my first true experience of a Casio watch was a non-G DW-240; a simple square digital, (obviously related to it's G-shock cousin) which was given to me my old man; it was his work watch hand me down :) After wearing that in my school days I had a phase with desiring Casio's multi-function, databank and calc watches, back then it was the more functions and gadgety the better... I don't know why it is when you grow older you start to favour simplicity? Probably influenced by my school days, when I got back into Gs I was very attracted by the more extravagant Masters of G series; at that time I didn't glance at squares twice... but when I started frequenting forums, I learned about squares, vintage pieces and some people *only* collecting squares... I started to give them a little more notice - but still not a lot compared to me staring at other models tbh.

I think it had something to do with the 'type' of collector I was evolving into...Everyone starts going on a path at some point, and the best way I can describe my 'journey' to squares is to describe it like how I am with food :) I'm a type of person who likes to be a bit adventurous and try a bit of everything. I like different models, modules, features. colours etc. It was only a matter of time before I got to my first square...

a GW-M5610 (discounting the King here because...well it's not like a traditional square!). And to be honest - the first time I put it on, it felt tiny and insignificant, because by that time, I had been wearing some XL series, Masters of G, Kings etc! I was somewhat... underwhelmed! But you know, that's the appeal of the square. After the initial 'underwhelment' there are these things you start to notice: How, despite it's smaller package, digits seem bigger, it feels inconspicuous, it goes under sleeves easily; everything you need in a day to day watch is neatly arranged with much less to distract you, and at the end of it it's still a G shock and just as tough as all your other beefy Gs!

Well, since the first square, I've developed a certain fondness for them...whilst I still like big and bold Gs, I do pay squares a fair amount of attention now, by a random bit of luck I even managed to land myself a rather 'special' vintage DW-5600C 691 mirrorback in mint condition!

DSCN2080.jpg

I've added some others like the G-7800 and G-8000 since then, this year I even dove in for something a bit more special...

QQY_3989a.jpg