Metal Or Resin?

disavowed

Dumb question perhaps...

Is there an all metal G - i.e. w/ an all metal case?

I would think the case composition (primary part) should govern its resin or metal classification... not bezel or bracelet/strap.

I agree that there should be/are hybrids.

Pardon the post if already addressed.

GTR83

I voted for resin, since to me, it is what makes the G-Shocks what they are. We are not as afraid to damage the resin on a G-Shock while wearing it than an all metal one (a la the MRGs). Spare resin sets are also way cheaper. Once we get to wear all metal G-Shocks we start worrying about scratching them and that diminishes the advantage of wearing a G-Shock to other watches. Though I don't baby my metal Seiko watches - these guys are also almost as tough as G-Shocks! Maybe put them in a resin case then I'll have the toughest automatics in the world? :p

rutteger

Administrator
Dumb question perhaps...

Is there an all metal G - i.e. w/ an all metal case?

I would think the case composition (primary part) should govern its resin or metal classification... not bezel or bracelet/strap.

I agree that there should be/are hybrids.

Pardon the post if already addressed.

Not a dumb question at all.

There are indeed some Gs which have all metal case and band. One example would be the uber rare Frogman MRG-1100-2.

355161d1291004693-sold-g-shock-mrg-1100-2-titanium-frogman-g-shock-mrg-1200t-titanium-revman-mrg.jpg

Then there are many like the MTG910D (which I'm sure you know well :D ) which are mostly metal cases and bands with some resin.

mtg910da-1v_large.jpg

Next up you get a lot of the screwback models, thing like the old screwback DW-5600 and Frogs with metal cases but resin band and bezels. Pictured below you can see a DW-5200 without bezel.

gshock0608200716.jpg

Last but not least you get what probably makes the bulk of the current G-Shock line. Plastic cases, metal back attached by screws, resin band and bezel. Pic of my old Wademan (pre-cleaning) showing plastic case and resin band - although of course this model is unusual since it has a metal compass / bezel ring.

IMG_2888.jpg

disavowed

Footnote...

And I agree - some have partial-metal cases, like the GravDefier I posted, and the MTG's, but that Frog is definitely all metal...

Not that a combo (hybrid) isn't preferable for me, insofar as I like the lighter weight.

Olivier

In my opinion, metal strap should only be used with MR-G watches.
For all other models, resin remains the best choice :rolleyes: