XL models

chrisek

Speaking for myself, I'm OK with the regular 6900 size. One of the few functions I need/use is world time and that is something DW's do not come with. And the cool 6900 collabs are DW's. :rolleyes:

Fortunately with my flat top wrist the larger watches (including the latest frog) fit just fine as well. :cool:

Here is my G6900.
e3y9anud.jpg

And the king I'm wearing today.
u8unu6y3.jpg

sent with aloha

saru7

i think you make a good point about wrist shape chrisek. i have a very similar wrist to yours (not as hairy tho :p ) and i think that plays alot on what some ppl may view as "too big".
personally i wouldnt care if i had skinny girlie wrists (which theyre not too far from!) or big cankle wrists of ham, id still rock the bigger watches cos thats what i like.

one thing i dont get tho, ppl always turn their nose up if the watch is too big but seem to be fine if the watch looks small. granted these are usually square lovers but imo a small watch looks alot worse since it looks like you stole your little brothers/sisters one! :playful:

i guess it also depends on the shape and fit of the watch too. the most popular style with my friends is the gd1xx ga1xx shape. its def. bigger but doesnt look out of place on anyone from a shortassed 5'2" guy to a 6" 100kg dude.

ive yet to get a gdx but its on my must haves for this year. im looking at you cement camo! (and prob the tiger stripe camos too :p )

Sengyoku

are there any other XL models

Just to expand a little on what Chris mentioned...

There is currently quite a large 'XL' family of G-Shocks, as they are probably very popular in recent years, you'll notice that there are many Gs with a model designation of (ana-digi)GA-XXX, (all digi) GD-XXX, also G-lide series like the GLX-150s, GLS-100s, the sensor equipped GDF-100s and even the (late but great!) King series with GX(W)-56 model number... I'm pretty sure these all fall under the XL series along with the new GD-X6900s.
I've even seen some places market the G/GW/GWX-8900 series along with the XLs, because they are pretty big...

Many of them feature common resin styles/cases and are therefore interchangeable (I presume) providing they have the same style of resin case. They all have a common style of 'wide' band which wears very comfortably. Chris would probably be the best person to elaborate on these as he has many different XLs in his collection :)

Dude

Hey Sengyoku, you spoke my mind.... In fact, I only get those models. I'm into all the above models and it seems like it's getting more popular. I hope that they bring back the Kings, to me, they are the "King" of XL watches!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saru7

funnily enough the 56 (i refuse to call it a king :p ) is where i draw the line for big watches. the fake rivots and ugly button protectors makes it look like a ben 10 toy than a king of anything. king of the playground maybe lol :tongue-new: :tongue-new:
stylised rivots/bolts like on a 7900 and better blended buttons would go a long way at making it look less like it should hold candy. seriously i had one almost identical when i was little! lol

speaking of xl series tho, i recently (legally!) came into possession of a gac110, def. worthy of its xl-ness, gives my gaussmen a run for their money. still coming to grips with pretty much no functions other than stopwatch (youd think more ppl would use an alarm than a stopwatch!) so it may or may not stay around....

i think eventually theyll just forget calling them xl as theyll just be the norm

chrisek

i think eventually theyll just forget calling them xl as theyll just be the norm

The XL's (king and GDX/GBX are on different chassis each) even with as popular as they are are in no danger of taking over #1 or #2 sales worldwide (square and 6900, debate on which is which, but not on if anything else is troubling them). So I don't think they will be "normal" anytime soon.

I do agree that the size of these style watches is becoming very common though :cool:

sent with aloha

BACKBLAST72

The XL line does have a lot of variety and it seems Casio manages to entice just about every style and taste of its collectors with this line. The new GD120 are vedy nice. I saw a wide variety of them in Macy's today. Was actually surprise, they had some of the rear models. Also they had the 30th aniversary 5600 and 6900 series.

I have put the new versions of the GA100 and the GD120 on my to get list.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

saru7

thats exactly it, the tide is well and truly turning. not that long ago there would only be a couple xl models but now its the other way around. i go to any jeweler and im lucky to see one square or 6900, a few non xl models but thats it.
g shock AU posts their top selling models each month and i dont think ive ever seen a square in there.
popularity is def. waning for the square but i think thats how the square lovers want it to be ;)

BACKBLAST72

I know there is a good amount of people which NEVER liked the GX56. But I really liked that model. I trully wish G-Shock brings them back, maybe change the design a little or add something to it. I think one thing which makes the XL line so appealing its the variety of models and color combinations they offer which has been a hit with most people. I remember the first XL I bought was the GA100-1A4 and they sold fast. I went back like a week later to try and get a different color variety and they were gone.

Hopefully they will consider doing that to the GX56 love the presence it has on the wrist; everytime I wear mine i recieve a lot of compliments on it. You just don't see them in the store anymore.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk