G-Shock 30th Anniversary Resist Black Series coming April 2013

Casio Japan have today announced the latest G-Shock release celebrating the 30th Anniversary of the world's toughest watches. The 'Resist Black' Series follows the 30th Anniversary Initial Blue Series and 30th Anniversary Rising Red Series in commemorating the release of the first G-Shock way back in 1983. The Resist Black Series features three models all of which have been chosen as iconic and significant watches in the history of G-Shock.
  • G-Shock DW-5030C - the original classic
  • G-Shock DW-6930C - the classic round G-Shock shape and one of the most iconic G-Shocks
  • G-Shock GW-5530C - a modern take on the first mud and dust resist model, the DW-5500

All three feature black bands and bezels with copper detailing designed to give that vintage feel. The G-Shock DW-5030C also features the 'PROJECT TEAM' Tough logo to the dial. All three models feature the classic 30th Anniversary custom caseback and packaging designed by Mr Eric Haze.

The new G-Shock 30th Anniversary Resist Black Series is dropping in Japan on 19th April 2013, we expect to see a very limited worldwide release.

View attachment 5750
G-Shock DW-5030C

View attachment 5749
G-Shock DW-6930C

View attachment 5748
G-Shock GW-5530C

View attachment 5746
G-Shock DW-5030C - dial detail showing classic DW-5000 inspired brick pattern

View attachment 5747
G-Shock 30th Anniversary packaging​

JayAreGee

I'm not overly fond of this release. Seems lackluster following the Red Rising series. I didn't care much for the Initial Blue series, either. I'm sure something good is in the works. But for me, I'm gunna hardpass on these. They still look great and I appreciate the fact that they're such a throwback to the originals. But just not my style.

chrisek

@sharkfin: not the 5500's in particular, i've just been getting bit by resin rot a lot lately on older watches.

@Jay: agreed on the style of this release.

sharkfin

chrisek;13663 said:
@sharkfin: not the 5500's in particular, i've just been getting bit by resin rot a lot lately on older watches.

Ok, so any tips on how to preserve the resin? Or is it just inevitable?:fatigue:

Thanks again.
Dave

chrisek

There is a lot of talk about this topic, but the formulation of the resin has also been changing along the way. If you have one you want to keep for 20 years (wearing/using) it would be a good idea to a spare set of resin and don't open the bag until you need them. ;)

chrisek

Ok, sorry for the hijack. This may be one of our last times to purchase a brand new 5500. That's the part i need to think about :cool:

sharkfin

chrisek;13684 said:
Ok, sorry for the hijack. This may be one of our last times to purchase a brand new 5500. That's the part i need to think about :cool:

Ya, kinda what I was thinking.
I'm late to the game, been trying to track down all these cool old G5500's.
But this latest modern 5500 just makes sense for the long haul.

As for the resins, I'll be searching for some. Any tips/sources for them?

Thanks.
Dave

rutteger

Administrator
Think / hope the issues with resin rot are behind Casio.

Models like the original DW-5500 (not reissued G-5500 / GW-5500) and DW-5300 had big problems with resin rot. A DW-5500 with an intact bezel is a rare item! Be surprised if the current crop of G-5500 models experienced resin rot but of course only time will tell.

As an aside I own a DW-5300, one of the models with resin rot issues. Every time I pick this model out of the draw it appears the bezel has had some kind of reaction with the atmosphere, there is almost a film on it which needs to be wiped off. Of all the models I own this is the only piece of resin on which I see such a reaction, this includes a couple of G-5500.

sharkfin

Ok, interesting stuff.
Thanks for the info.

Dave

rutteger;13707 said:
Think / hope the issues with resin rot are behind Casio.

Models like the original DW-5500 (not reissued G-5500 / GW-5500) and DW-5300 had big problems with resin rot. A DW-5500 with an intact bezel is a rare item! Be surprised if the current crop of G-5500 models experienced resin rot but of course only time will tell.

As an aside I own a DW-5300, one of the models with resin rot issues. Every time I pick this model out of the draw it appears the bezel has had some kind of reaction with the atmosphere, there is almost a film on it which needs to be wiped off. Of all the models I own this is the only piece of resin on which I see such a reaction, this includes a couple of G-5500.