The logic of modding Gs! Insanity or vanity?

chrisek

Not sure about the 5 year thing. Casio ' s own description is for 10 year service life.

Definitely to each their own, and enjoy them as you see fit :cool:

sent with aloha

Ninja

Well 5 years is my personal guideline and it also depends on the condition of the watch. If the watch is kept in the box for the time, it should be ok.

If the watch is worn for 5 years, there is a high chance of wear and tear. To remove the bezel in such a condition will mean that there is a high chance of breaking the bezel.

Not sure about the 5 year thing. Casio ' s own description is for 10 year service life.

Definitely to each their own, and enjoy them as you see fit :cool:

sent with aloha

Ninja

My weekend projects:
20130719_111930.jpg

LUW

If the watch is worn for 5 years, there is a high chance of wear and tear. To remove the bezel in such a condition will mean that there is a high chance of breaking the bezel.
What really matters is how pliable the resin is, and that's determined not by wear but basically by how much UV radiation the watch was exposed to. UV radiation is the principle factor that makes the resin's molecules break down, so even if a watch wasn't worn but was exposed to a lot of UV radiation, the pliability of the resin would be compromised. Ergo, a bezel from let's say a 2007 model that hasn't been exposed to much UV radiation (and obviously hasn't been subjected to rough abuse) will be pliable enough to be removed from the case without fear.

Ninja

The high humidity in Asia does not help much.

I heard of watches turning sticky despite being imprisoned in the casio cases for a couple of years.

Like I always said, just take them out and wear them!

What really matters is how pliable the resin is, and that's determined not by wear but basically by how much UV radiation the watch was exposed to. UV radiation is the principle factor that makes the resin's molecules break down, so even if a watch wasn't worn but was exposed to a lot of UV radiation, the pliability of the resin would be compromised. Ergo, a bezel from let's say a 2007 model that hasn't been exposed to much UV radiation (and obviously hasn't been subjected to rough abuse) will be pliable enough to be removed from the case without fear.

LUW

Like I always said, just take them out and wear them!
Ah, the BEST way to enjoy a G!
clapping.gif

I know every g-shockaholic frets over their babies, me included, but honestly, just wear the things. I won't keep them exposed to direct sunlight when not on my wrist and I don't even get near sunblock or bug lotions when wearing them, but other then that I just wear them when I want to. The only exception I make to that policy are with my vintage pieces. Those I do wear, but sparingly. I also don't buy any model with white or jelly resin because since I only buy what I will wear, and since those two cases are specially prone to get stained, I just don't buy them.

But about humidity. It also can play a role in accelerating the natural decay of PU resin, but it's much less important then UV radiation. However, with older models the ideal storing place would be a dark, dry and cool place. Modern resin is different from the initial formula, so we can expect a much longer life expectancy, and if you don't abuse your G it will surely last a loooooong time.