The logic of modding Gs! Insanity or vanity?

race

Those beautiful GA-110 mod called me too,add my GA-110RF "dark rasta" so!

IMG_20140118_144650[1].jpg

Sengyoku

Nice mods guys, I fear Ninja's original topic may have been taken over by eye-candy :)

A lot of examples of great mods that can be achieved relatively easily (Not to insult any of your work guys!), I just mean mods without having to open up or mess with the insides, where mixing and matching different stock parts and modifying resin works really well to achieve a new and unique look :) I think this is one of the charms of having G-Shocks adds even more fun and longevity to them IMO. I've also dabbled in this class of modding and I'll have to post some pics of mine when I get a chance :)

Matt_C

I'm not big on "modding" as such, but it is great to own a watch that is so easy to work on, easy to get parts for and so reliable and robust!

I have 4 'pristine' g-shocks which I almost never wear, and a 5th "old friend" which is on its 3rd battery and second bezel/strap! I can't bear to part with it, and despite attempts to 'upgrade', I always go back to it quickly.

This is my second DW6600. I lost my first one in a building-fire after just 2 years, and could only find a replacement with the horrible 'backlit G' which I learned to live with. However, thanks to the excellent information on this forum, I think I've just been able to successfully remove it!

Just got to say I love this forum, it's been a real gold mine of information! I only originally popped on to check which replacement-battery I required, but now you have me hooked!!

Sengyoku

I'm not big on "modding" as such, but it is great to own a watch that is so easy to work on, easy to get parts for and so reliable and robust!

Interesting point Matt, I didn't really contemplate modding until I saw some other people do it, with interesting results, however there's also the issue I think many of us face before we actually put tool to watch for the first time... You'll think to yourself; why would I want to mess with my perfectly functional and intact watch? What if I break something? What if I can't put it back together again!

So for many of us who have just got a brand new watch, it's probably understandable that the impetus to mod it by taking it apart/changing it's appearance/changing parts may not be there... there's a certain paranoia - and I think once this is overcome, we start to become a lot more comfortable and confident doing stuff to our Gs!

For me, it was just like this, until I once bought a second hand G, roughed up a dirty... so naturally, I tried to clean it up and you realise that you can't do a proper job because you have dirt stuck in bits you can't reach with your old toothbrush! So for some this may be 'good enough' but with a slight obsessive compulsive trait as with all collectors, that bit of dust or dirt bothers you, so that's the moment I decided to get hold of some precision drivers to open up some tiny screws... The fact that it was an old watch and not a brand new limited edition helped in this decision of course :)

What I discovered since taking apart my first screw on a G-Shock, is that with the right tools, Gs are actually pretty easy to take apart and mod! It helps tremendously that they're well built and comprehensively designed! At this point, I'd have to say the internet can be a great help...for example check out LUW's very informative and useful articles about tools here at the zone - not intentionally promoting LUW's fanclub here, but the articles are very good! :)

http://http://www.g-shockzone.com/content.php?141-articles

LUW

samuzune.jpg

Well Sengyoku, having been convinced of the "benefits of modding", I've spent the morning removing the horrible 'backlit G' illumination-plate..!
Hubba hubba hubba!
notworthy.gif

That's the idea! Now you have a G that YOU really like. And that's the beauty of them: they're so easy to live with. I really like mechanicals but right now they're just eye candy for me - nice to look at, but give me a G to wear everyday, thank you.

Sengyoku

Well Sengyoku, having been convinced of the "benefits of modding", I've spent the morning removing the horrible 'backlit G' illumination-plate..!

Nicely done Matt, and I wouldn't even consider your 6600 mod a 'beginner's mod', the easy mods I was talking about earlier were just resin swaps! But you seem to have the tools, the skills and the confidence to just swap out a backlight image! Well done :) So how hard would you say that mod was?

But just like LUW said, my motive behind modding most of the time is to achieve a G that I can really be pleased with. Despite me liking a lot of stock model designs, there are always little details you wished were a bit different... One great example of this recently was the olive Rangeman, I think a lot of people thought the negative LCD was hard to read which otherwise spoilt the very nice Olive green colour combo... Our fellow forum member Vade_R went ahead and did exactly what I would have sought to do (if I had a positive rangeman too that is...) :)

1389282237_zps3cb20121.jpg

Image borrowed from Vade_R
^ not the most straightforward mod, due to swapping a tricky module, but what a fantastic result :)

Matt_C

Nicely done Matt, and I wouldn't even consider your 6600 mod a 'beginner's mod', the easy mods I was talking about earlier were just resin swaps! But you seem to have the tools, the skills and the confidence to just swap out a backlight image! Well done :) So how hard would you say that mod was?

But just like LUW said, my motive behind modding most of the time is to achieve a G that I can really be pleased with. Despite me liking a lot of stock model designs, there are always little details you wished were a bit different... One great example of this recently was the olive Rangeman, I think a lot of people thought the negative LCD was hard to read which otherwise spoilt the very nice Olive green colour combo... Our fellow forum member Vade_R went ahead and did exactly what I would have sought to do (if I had a positive rangeman too that is...) :)

View attachment 8321

Image borrowed from Vade_R
^ not the most straightforward mod, due to swapping a tricky module, but what a fantastic result :)

Looks excellent!

I'm amazed how easy these watches are to work on. Even swapping-out the screen filter took less than 30 minutes!!