The logic of modding Gs! Insanity or vanity?

Matt_C

8y7e2y2y.jpg

That's my first attempt at "modding" finished on my (much cherished!) 16 year old DW6600.

As you can see, no more 'backlit G'. Glad to see the back of THAT..!

Battery changed, new gasket/silicone grease, NATO strap and adapters. I've repainted the lettering and polished-out some minor scratches in the bezel with 2000-grit micro mesh. All screws have had a tiny amount of Loctite 259 added.

She's looking not too shabby for a 16 year old watch in daily use. Reckon she'll be good for another 5 to 10 before it needs another 'refresh'....

(I'm almost tempted to 'rescue' another DW6600. I'll have to start monitoring eBay..!!)

tyr75

Well i tried to remove the paint of the bezel from my gd-100. it only worked by the " G-Shock " but not for the rest of it. its pretty weird i think.
i used nailpolish remover.
i was putting the bezel for about 20 minutes into the remover and tried to brush the paint of with a old toothbrush.
GD-100-1AER.jpg
before
20140121_120256.jpg
after

LUW

tyr, you must be careful with paint strippers. Nail polish remover usually uses acetone as a base, and acetone can melt PU resin. It won't dissolve it, but it can make the bezel look "faded" if you rub it enough. There are some nail polish removers that are acetone-free, those you can use with no concerns.

In the case of the white lettering, if you can't remove it (did you try soaking it with the solvent and then "scratching" it off with a toothpick?) you could just paint the letters black. If you do so, also paint the G-Shock text so that the whole bezel will look uniform.

tyr75

Well its acetone free. I guess i'll try it with a toothpick. Maybe it works that way.
Otherwise i'll have to use paint.

LUW

All right, acetone-free is the way to do it when you're going over large areas. You can also try soaking the toothpick in regular nail polish remover and then try to rub/scratch the letters off. If you're careful to not let the nail polish remover go over the bezel it will make the job easier.