The Official Introduce Yourself Here Thread.

Nigel Wright

Hi

I only have one G-shock - but I have owned it for about 15 years.

It started life as a DW 002 but after about 11 years the top bezel suffered from resin rot & I could not find a supplier anywhere.

I bought a 6900 case & used my movement, back plate, face plate & strap adapters.

I would prefer the old chunkier style dw 002 case but at least the transplant allows me to wear my old watch.

Maybe one day the resin parts will be remade.

Nigel.

TomBoyNI

Hi

I only have one G-shock - but I have owned it for about 15 years.

It started life as a DW 002 but after about 11 years the top bezel suffered from resin rot & I could not find a supplier anywhere.

I bought a 6900 case & used my movement, back plate, face plate & strap adapters.

I would prefer the old chunkier style dw 002 case but at least the transplant allows me to wear my old watch.

Maybe one day the resin parts will be remade.

Nigel.

I like the sound of that, looking forward to a pic :)

Hi,

I'm new to forum and I know nothing abt Gshock. More than a yr ago I realised my bf loves Gshock n has been wearing his for more than 10 yrs. but he couldn't bear to pay for new ones because he said e models he likes are very expensive. Yet he has been spending alot more money on me instead. I really wanted to get him one and thought it would b a very easy task but I was very wrong. After surfing e net abt Gshock I realised there are so many models w so many functions for diff needs and wants. I am afraid that I will get something he might not like ESP girls hav diff taste for watches. N I wanted it to be a surprise therefore I have never asked if he had liked all e models I fancied in my search. N I know even if I were to ask he will tell me to save e money.

Therefore I really hope I can get better insight n knowledge on Gshock watches in this forum. Really hope one day I can present him a watch we will both like.

If you go to "gshock.com", you'll be able to see all of the models. My first watch was the DW-5900 series and it lasted me over 20 years!! I then bought a G9000 "mudman" series, which is a great watch. I just happen to see the GA1000-1A4 watch and fell in love with that so I bought it. You (or your BF) will be happy with almost any g-shock you get. I know I am.

macspite

A good way to see many of the models in actual use rather than Casio's stock photos is to browse the current and all the previous "WRUW" (What are you wearing) threads on this forum. That way you can see how they look on the wrist and read the comments of the owners.

Nigel Wright

I like the sound of that, looking forward to a pic :)

Here is a photo - does not really look different to a 6900 but it was the only way I could find to keep the old module usable.

Nigel.

Attachments

• Gshock1.jpg
    Gshock1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 177

Nigel Wright

Forgot to say:-

I like the faceplate from the 002 better as it has mode adjust etc marked on it (the 6900 does not as it has it on the outer resin instead) - apart from that the face plate is the same.

I also like how faded the right hand 'eye' has become on mine - when I have seen new ones the background is a brighter red but mine is quite faded.

The things the photo does not show are the strap adapters - I have a generic velcro strap through the adapters. Also the case back is marked dw002 - no special reason to reuse it but just felt like more of the watch is original to me.

Nigel.

Nigel Wright

Welcome all.

@Nigel Wright . Nice work. Did you ever try Casio themselves for spares?

Hi

I tried Casio UK & also Casio USA & Tictox - no luck.

I did think about getting a used 002 with say a broken module but I think age wise it would be on it's last legs - if you google resin rot the 002 seems to be one of the models that suffers the worst.

I would love to get a replacement one someday - would be great if casio provided more spares as the outer resin was the only bit of the watch that showed any damage (inner case etc was fine).

Nigel.

macspite

Hi
I did think about getting a used 002 with say a broken module but I think age wise it would be on it's last legs - if you google resin rot the 002 seems to be one of the models that suffers the worst.

Hi Nigel and welcome. I agree about the 002 being a "rotter" through personal experience. I wonder if Casio might be persuaded to produce a 30th anniversary 002 model similar to the new Jason taking over from the DW-001. Then a supply of bezels could become available. Is it worth contacting the Brazilian guys that advertise various aftermarket bezels on eBay?

The problem for anyone wishing to produce something approaching the quality of the original Casio bezel is the cost of modelmaking and tooling for a resin injection mould - many thousands. A lot of money to recoup on investment at 20 or 30 quid a time.

I wonder whether Casio throw their moulds away or if they are on a shelf in a store somewhere, gathering dust?